VENETO Ristorante Italiano is seeking a multi-talented Captain / Lead Server for the award winning restaurant on 900 South in Salt Lake City, UT. In this upscale, fine dining environment; specializing in authentic Northeastern Italian cuisine, wine and hospitality; you will be surrounded by first-class team members & have opportunities for upward growth.
We are seeking experienced and confident people who understand the standards of world class service and hospitality. If you wold like to be a part of a growing brand and work with top hospitality and culinary professionals, we would love to meet you!
As a Captain / Lead Server, you are responsible for maintaining world class service and hospitality standards, coaching, training, and managing the front of house team of servers, busers, host/ess; maintaining immaculate public spaces, and providing top service of food and beverages. When needed, you will assume the role of maître d’, receiving reservation phone calls and seating guests upon arrival. The Captain / Lead Server represents the company in a professional and exemplary manner and promotes the success of the restaurant to guests, staff and any other parties.
- Minimum of 2-3 years of relevant upscale server experience in a fine dining or upscale restaurant/luxury hotel required (if you don’t meet this requirement, please apply to our server position for the opportunity to transition into this position)
- An appetite for providing memorable hospitality
- Excellent emotional self-awareness, with a clear understanding of guest and staff boundaries
- Ability to stay calm, professional, and solve problems when under pressure
- Gracious and pleasant demeanor with a positive attitude
- Professional appearance / grooming standards appropriate for a premier fine dining restaurant
- College studies in hospitality management and experience in upscale eateries is ideal
- Possess good management skills. Proven ability to ‘manage up’ by taking direction, following procedures, and communicating; as well as proven ability to ‘manage down’ by giving direction, leading by example, coaching, and motivating a team.
- Ability to multi-task
- Obsessive attention to details
- Knowledge of wine (Italian wine a plus) and proficient with table side wine service.
- Valid Food Handler and Sips & Tips.
Ensure Quality Service — The primary goal of the captain is to ensure diners are receiving high-quality service. The day-to-day duties range from training all levels of servers, overseeing the proper order and flow of dishes, informing staff about menu priorities/changes, and keeping the dining areas clean and organized. Interacts with guests in a manner that makes them feel special, comfortable, and welcome.
Leadership — When staff members are unavailable, you will step in to make sure all necessary jobs are covered. When owners are not on premise, you will act with the same level of care, passion, and attention to detail as they do.
Eye for Details — Oversees front of house team, ensuring they are engaging guests in a manner congruent with brand standards; while always keeping an eye out to ensure floors are clear, bathrooms spotless, furniture is in place, pushing in chairs when patrons leave, making adjustments as needed to ensure ease of movement in the dining room.
Food & Beverage Orders — Make recommendations, suggest pairings with particular menu items, decant bottles and serve wine. You must have thorough knowledge of each item on the menu and seasonal specials to help guests decide between entrée options, explain ingredients and preparation methods. Must possess an advanced knowledge of the VENETO food and beverage offerings including wine list, ingredients, allergens, dietary limitations, and the restaurant concepts overviews.
Enhance the Guest’s Experience — This could be by providing gueridon service (prepare, present, and finish dishes table-side in front of guests) and wine service (seasoning glasses, Coravin, etc.)
Train and Supervise Staff — This role requires a sociable multitasker who can oversee the work of the team, appearance of the restaurant, and dishes being prepared, while simultaneously interacting with guests. Trains and certifies employees on their positions in accordance with company standards.
Communication — Keep in close contact with the chef and kitchen staff to learn about changes and ensure food orders are processed efficiently. Confirm wine orders with servers, retrieve bottles from cellar, and maintain order of wine cellar. Delegate tasks to busers and team as necessary. Communicates with Management nightly, any complements or concerns overheard during the performance of one’s duties.
*Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Member of a part of a professional & supportive team, where you are celebrated & valued
- Be part of an award winning restaurant which continues to grow
- Competitive pay and incentives
- Paid time off earning opportunity after 90 days of full time
- Proprietary training & development opportunities
- Complementary daily family meals and employee discount
- Personal monthly bonus based on personal sales
- Referral Bonuses
- Paid annual wine education trip to Italy
If you are a customer service-oriented team player who thrives in a fast-paced environment, we welcome your application. For immediate consideration, please apply online with your cover letter and resume
Captain / Lead Server
The role of a great buser is invaluable and crucial. Your contribution is welcomed and respected by the entire team. In our busy and hectic environment, you serve as a support system for servers. You will excel if a guest leaves feeling that their every need was met, but they don’t remember seeing anyone at their table. A great buser can make the difference between a pleasant dining experience and a poor one.
What we offer:
- Professional, friendly, and supportive work environment where you are celebrated and valued as an integral part of our team and success.
- Complementary employee meals.
- Competitive pay and incentives!
- Experience preferred, but not necessary. If you don't have experience, but are driven to learn, we’re happy to teach you.
- Must present a well-groomed appearance.
- Ability to take direction and follow procedures with speed and precision.
- Have a professional demeanor and positive attitude.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Take direction from and support servers by cleaning, preparing tables between courses, and ensuring that guests are well attended to.
- Approach guests in an unobtrusive manner, never interrupting the meal.
- Discretely clear empty plates and dishes from tables, and refill water glasses during the course of the meal, without allowing food or drinks to spill on table, floor, or guests.
- When directed by server, deliver plates to tables so guests may enjoy their food while it’s as fresh and hot as possible.
- Discretely remove spilled food and crumbs, and refill water glasses.
- Friendly professional demeanor towards all guests and team members.
- Replace linens making sure tables are perfectly set and ready for the next guests.
- Clean tables and reset tables according to defined VENETO standards
- When not busy supporting servers working tables, you will focus on other jobs around the restaurant, including but not limited to: restocking supplies and general cleaning (inside and outside).
For immediate consideration, please send your cover letter and resume to:
We are looking for someone who is:
- dependable (get to work on time)
- efficient (works carefully & quickly)
- self-motivated (can see what needs to be done)
- and is happy & nice to be around (do you smile?).
Full-time or Part-time available.
Being a part of the VENETO family will give you the opportunity to be a part of something unique. We are striving to elevate the overall restaurant experience in Utah - how guests experience food and wine, as well as how staff are included and compensated. We expect a professional work environment and commit to providing personal and professional opportunities for growth. We offer competitive wages + bonuses paid based on reaching restaurant goals and individual goals, and other perks.
We are currently interviewing for the following roles:
Join the VENETO Family